Thursday, August 30, 2012

What is it about weather?

What is it about weather that is so fascinating.  The eerie images from Hurricane Isaac the past few days have consumed us all, glued to the television for hours, watching and waiting for that next destructive image.  So sad and heartbreaking but at the time so fascinated that you simply cannot pull away from it. 



 I will admit that I am consumed by significant weather events and I can't state a rational reason why I find it so exciting.  I cringe at the loss of damage and property, yet I am so fueled by the images and having the chance to be part of it.  Last year I responded as part of my job to Hurricane Irene in New York.  It was an amazing experience.  A few years earlier again I found myself working in the snow blizzard that affected Pittsburgh and the surrounding counties.  Again so heart pounding and exciting.  But what is it about weather that makes ordinary people infatuated with mother natures wrath? 



 These images are amazing.  Not amazing that I think they are cool and that I would wallpaper them all over my computer or iPhone, but amazing in the sense that this can happen anytime, anywhere to all of us.  And at the core we all realize how small of a world we live in and how these weather disasters will effect us for many years to come.  Let this be the great wake up call and call to action for all us to get prepared, prepared for the very worst that life can send our way.  I sincerely hope that all effected by this storm will overcome the great hurdles that lay in their way.









Images from www.weather.com

No comments:

Post a Comment